It seems that every 3 days the environment we have been working in changes. Everything from increased isolation to schools closing along with daycares and spouses working from home. Add in IRS changes, guidance, relief packages and CARES Act and you get a very unexpected tax season.
We have been doing our best to manage client needs, employee’s needs and new regulations being put in place. When I started TL;DR: Accounting I never thought about the possibility of working through a pandemic. COVID-19 came out of left field during our busiest time of the year and I have to say we have done the best we have been able to. We have also been very, very lucky that no one on our team has gotten COVID-19.
Things that have happened behind the scene this tax season include:
- The whole team starting social distancing the first week of March even though we have team members outside of Seattle
- Toni catching a regular cold in March, knocking 3 days off her work schedule
- An employee’s household being quarantined for 2 weeks because of potential exposure
- An employee losing power and Internet for multiple days
- Almost all employees having children at home who are normally in school or daycare
In addition to letting you know about these things, we want to say thank you to all of you. When we reached out to discuss pushing some returns back so we could help some small business owners with their loan applications, you all were amazing about it.
We appreciate everyone being supportive in these times. While tax season is now stretching to July 15th, so far this has been an unexpected season. We are doing our best to meet all of our clients’ needs while continuing to support our wonderful employees. We really do appreciate all of you bearing with us as we work through this unprecedented time. Hopefully, everyone is staying safe and healthy out there.
Toni & Team