I paid for someone to do my website – What do I do?

How do I know if I need to report it?

Alright if they aren’t an employee, and they are an independent contractor, yes you do have to report it if you meet certain thresholds.

  • Was the amount over $600?
  • Was the payment to an individual or an entity that is not incorporated?

If you answered yes to the two questions about, then you need to file a 1099-Misc for the payment.

To do that you need info from the person you pay. Usually, you collect this info before you pay the person via a W-9, but if you didn’t you should now:

  • Name
  • Address
  • SSN Or EIN
  • Total amount paid


You have Jane do some website work for you. She is a freelancer and it costs you about $750.
The incorrect way to do it:
You wrote her a check in 2016 for $750.

The correct way to do it:
Ask for a W-9. Once you received the W-9 enter the data in your accounting software. Then cut the check to Jane, once you get her invoice.

Now it is January and you are ready to the Form 1099-Misc for Jane for the $750.

You can file them on paper or you can use software, just keep in mind the deadline. They are due JANUARY 31st, 2017 for non-employee compensation. Do not file them late with the IRS, or the copy that you need to provide to the person that you paid.

As always consult your tax advisor.

TL;DR: If you paid someone over $600, you need to file the 1099-Misc ASAP.

P.S. Want to learn how to manage your money better as a therapist? Now you can learn directly from Toni Cameron, CPA with our new on-demand webinars! Check out our most popular webinars here.
team (3)

Toni Cameron, CPA

Business Consultant, CFO Services, "The DM"

Toni is an accountant by day and gaming geek by night. As an accountant, Toni’s focus is dedicated to people like you — individuals, nonprofits, and small business owners. Toni’s adamant about taking care of all the things you just don’t have time to because she understands the value of a proper work-life balance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Vector 3 (2) (1)

Ready to start Learning?

Click to view all webinars on-demand.

© Copyright TL;DR: Accounting 2022

Have you heard? You can now watch our previously recorded Webinars On-Demand! Watch Now!