Blog Post

How to file an extension

How to file an extension

If you’ve waited this long to contact a tax professional or CPA about filing your taxes, you’ve likely been told the bad news: they’re booked. Luckily, you have a get out of jail free card, called an “extension.”

An extension buys you a grace period where a professional can still assist you after the deadline to file your taxes. An extension does not, however, extend the time you have to pay your taxes. If you believe you’ll owe taxes, you should make a payment now, using the following options:

Reason for Payment: Extension
Apply Payment To: 4868 (for 1040, 1040a, 1040EZ)
Tax Period for Payment: 2017

The deadline for filing an extension is April 17. You can e-file an extension for free. Alternatively, you can find Form 4868 on the IRS website to file for an extension via mail. It will need to be postmarked by April 17th in order for your extension to be granted.

Filing an extension will give you until October 15, 2018 to file your tax return. You will still be required to pay your taxes by April 17th.

TL;DR: You procrastinated having your taxes done. File an extension, then get help.

Related Posts